Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Covergirl LipPerfection jumbo gloss balm in Cotton Candy twist, Blush twist, and Cupcake twist REVIEW and swatches

I recently spotted a new display in CVS that contained the Covergirl Bombshell mascaras, a few jumbo gloss balms, and nail polishes. I have purchased waaaay too many nail polishes recently and have hardly used enough of them. They are literally just sitting there waiting for me to use them for the first time. So for that reason, I will only allow myself to try the other products in this display (...good reason, imho...). I have used the jumbo gloss balms before. I purchased Blush Twist a while back and did a review on it. I did like it a lot and decided to give these new shades a try. Note that these jumbo gloss balms do not say limited edition but rather "new" so I am guessing they will be part of the permanent display soon. I also purchased the Bombshell Volume mascara to try. It looked quite intriguing. The tube is huge! I will try to review this soon in a separate blogpost.

Now, on to the Covergirl jumbo gloss balms. I purchased two new shades- Cotton Candy twist and Cupcake twist. I compared these two to the the Blush twist I already have in my collection.

Upon first look, the packaging looks exactly the same. Because I only had one gloss balm until now, I never really needed to look at the name or shade. I knew it was just Blush twist. However, now that I have two new ones in my collection, I really have to take a good look. Covergirl does a good job making the caps look different. However, they do not do a good job in labeling it with the name. As soon as you tear off the plastic that wraps the gloss balm, you only see the number on the bottom of the stick. The number, not name, remains and makes it difficult to remember. On the plus side, it is nice that the gloss balms are individually wrapped in plastic to avoid people using it in the stores. The plastic is rather hard to remove so be patient on that aspect.
The applicator is a pencil tip with a twist up mechanism. It doesn't sharpen after the initial point has flattened out, but you can still get it on your lips quite easily without a mirror.


These jumbo gloss balms were not extremely moisturizing for me, but they also weren't drying. They applied quite smoothly, like butter, and has a decent amount of pigment. Though they seem matte/slightly glossy, they do have very fine minimal shimmer. It isn't anything you can see on your lips but after swatching it on my hand and wiping it off I can see the remains. It isn't ever a problem on my lips even long after the color has disappeared.
left to right: Cotton Candy Twist, Blush Twist, Cupcake Twist
The lasting power of these are so-so. I was able to have these on my lips for about 2-3 hours without eating or drinking. These do not have a scent nor do they have a pepperminty feeling when you apply it like the Tarte ones. I do really like that it is simple yet effective.

Cotton Candy Twist: a nude beige pink sheer shade
Blush Twist: A midtone pink
Cupcake Twist: A deep blue based pink.


Overall, I really like these two new shades. The Cotton Candy Twist shade makes my pigmented red lips look like baby pink lips. The staying power is acceptable and the easy application is welcomed. I also enjoy the ease of application and the light feeling on the lips. If you are sensitive to smell, you will be happy to find that these are not scented or pepperminty. For $8.50, definitely give these new shades a try!

EM

What are your thoughts on Covergirl's Jumbo Gloss Balms? Are you liking these new shades?

All products shown here were purchased with my own money and were given my fair and honest opinion.

2 comments:

  1. I hope that I can find these. I just saw a at CVS but it only contained the mascara and liquid eyeliners, with no placement for any lip balms. Are these colors permanent?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey ms.mommie. They should be in that same tall floor display at CVS. I did not see anywhere on the packaging or display that these were limited edition, so I want to say they are permanent. Unfortunately, I do not have any more information on whether they are permanent. So as far as I can see, they are. However, if you are liking the shades very much, I would keep hunting :)

      Delete

Kindly refrain from advertising your blog here. Helpful links related to review only. Thanks!